Friday, October 20, 2017

#gelliarts day of the dead banners





These are tissue paper.




I have been so inspired lately, I have about five things going at once. The last two days I have been cutting gelli prints on deli paper into day of the dead skulls. I have used tissue paper before but that is so fragile I thought that deli paper would be a perfect fit. It still looks fragile and will still move to represent the wind but very sturdy.



Here is a sneak peak of the altar, top row anyway. It has been a few years since I have done a Day of  the Dead altar. I've decided it is time for another.

We lost my dear mother in law Lola this year.  She will be the main subject. Isn't she beautiful? The top shelf is supposed to represent heaven and she herself supplied a lot of the religious items I've gathered. The St. Joseph statue for when we were moving and she gave me a lot rosaries over the years to use in my art.

The crosses are a tribute to all the catholic boys I've loved before. I guess...I'm not religious and that is the only excuse I can come up with.

Miss Firestarter is ready for the feast. (At least I think that is her name.) Her silk dress is so lovely but her hat is really shabby. Showing her years, poor dear.

Stay tuned for final reveal!

No comments: