Monday, June 13, 2016

Altered office chair


Considered the ballerina approach.


I am so sick of this freaking office chair in the middle of my new studio. It is really a good one and very ergonomic so it just needs a new look. I auditioned the blue leather because it would match. Then I found this moomoo with the great border and a failed art piece from the past. I decided to let that color emerge even if it doesn't "match" anything.


A trip to JoAnn's for some fat quarters and I let the color fly!


This is where I'm at so far! I love it and will further embellish with the new free motion thingy for my machine. I've broken all the rules by just piling the fabric on top of each other and left all the edges raw. Today I just need to piece the rest of the top and then attach the skirt. I had to repair my casing for the elastic so the slipcover will fit quite snug but will have the skirt to soften it up. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the rest of it. Well, actually I have about a million ideas so we will see how it turns out. I had to weed out about five color ways before I decided which way to go. I've actually been thinking about sewing for quite some time. Been collecting fabrics to combine for some new pjs. John suggested I use all the ideas and make outfits to match slipcovers.

The riot of color in the garden has inspired me this spring and it was too hot to be outside this weekend. I took myself off the new med that made me blister by spending one hour by the pool and gardening. What, I'm going to swim only at night? And I really don't want to meet the big guy that has been sleeping on my bleeding hearts. I had to cut it way back sooner than usual because they are fragile and are not meant to be a nice place for a nap for anybody.

So staying in the house until the heat breaks and sewing. Wish me luck, I'm feeling more comfortable with sewing now that I have broken all the rules. It used to stress me out really bad because I can picture it but I had my Mother to sew it. And her Mother sewed and so did my Aunt. They did it by the book and were very talented and exact. Me, on the other hand wore the material out on my first skirt I made trying to get the zipper "perfect".

  


It's a little wonky but I like It! I padded the front corners to make the skirt hang right. Another rule broken. I like it with my Indian footstool. I'm going to pad the arms next., that should be easy. Then need to cut a base piece to attach my art to the back. I'm going to break out the free motion thingy and have some fun with that. After a little practise I will embellish with thread and then attach to back slipcover. If that goes well I will further embellish my seat cushion in the same fashion, but did not want to practise on such a great success. I know, you are all thinking that is TOO MUCH but that is why I love it! Just think boho all the way. I really wish I could make this whole entire house a hippie crash pad.

I just wish my quarter's were fatter. I think I have enough to draw it all together. Going to slow down now that the seat is done. My back was killing me last night.


Please notice that the hem is straight and looks much better now. I could not leave this blog post with it all wonky. Had to edit original post, Lucille might see it....

Fixed the skirt so the seat is done. I've gotten pretty far on the back. Sewing is very time consuming and I gotta cook today. So I'm just blogging the back instead of working on it. Shoot.

1 comment:

Aimeslee Winans said...

Well never mind what I commented about paying someone, didn't know you could do it. You go girl looks good. So, you went off your meds because of a snake? Snakes and mosquitos were why I fell out of love with my pool and quit using it. Once the first one came out of the trap thing (and we have two at each end), I never could relax ever again in there. Really sucks, too. Now our pool is a turtle wetlands. xoxo